Thursday, April 30, 2009

Not the Koninginnedag Celebration I remember!

So April 30th, is a Dutch Holiday known as Queen's Day. I remember it as being one of the most fun days we had over there. It was a party the entire country over. I still have an orange hat with flashing lights from the celebrations (thanks to Rene!) Anyway it was a lot of fun. Even if it was rainy and cold that day so many years ago.

But today's celebration wasn't so much fun I guess. Apparently someone drove a car through a crowd of bystanders and police barricades trying to take out the Royal Family. It sounds positively horrible, as he plowed through people and sent bodies flying into the air. Several were killed and several more injured, but the Royal Family was spared. Still, it kind of made me shiver to hear what had happened. That's not the fun-loving party I remember on Koninginnedag.

No comments: