Monday, December 28, 2009

How am I Supposed to react to this?

So here's the thing, I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.

Travis had a long talk with his boss today. For the last month they've been trying to talk him into going back to Guam. They've offered him more money, extra per diem and even housing assistance. So far he's had no problems turning them down because he hasn't felt that they've made an offer that would make it worth it.

Apparently now things have changed. The only way they can garauntee him a job is if he goes back to Guam in the next two weeks. Contracts are apparently pretty thin here in the states, so they can't promise him steady work if he stays.

I'm not sure what to think. It breaks my heart to have him gone for so long again. But at the same time, in this economy I'd rather have him working than not. I'm trying to figure out how to be a supportive spouse when all I really want to do is sit down and have a cry.

They said that after 4 months, they'd give him a week off to come home for a visit, and of course there's always the possibility that we could pack up and go to Guam for a period of time. If we didn't have a house and vehicles and a cat I'd really look at just packing up and traveling with him for good. But unfortunately we do have those considerations. I know I'm not the only person on earth who's ever had to deal with this. There are plenty of other people whose situations are similar. Some of them even worse (like military spouses.) But for some reason that just doesn't offer much comfort right now. I still just want to cry.

But I won't. I know myself too well. I'll mope for a day or two. The flood of tears I wish I could cry just won't come and then I'll suck it up and start figuring it out. That's what I do.

3 comments:

Angela S said...

I think you cry and scream silently and then turn to prayer and express gratitude for a job and verbalize the strength you need from him but already know he'll give you. Man that bites but you'll do amazingly.

Leslie said...

I say you rent your house out, park or get rid of your cars, pack your bags and go on adventure with your husband and child. You're a strong young woman and can get through this. Not everyone gets offered a chance to see a different part of the world. You can do it!!! Hang in there.

Lombardo Family said...

I love both the things said. You gotta be asking yourself though, "is there any end insight?" I'm sorry for you both, but I know you guys are grateful for a job. You guys want a video phone? :o)