Saturday, June 12, 2010

..And then the battery died!!!!!!

So if you've followed my blogs at all you'll know that nearly a year ago I convinced all five of my sisters to form a team for the Teton Dam Marathon Relay. I conned them into thinking that it would be easy because they'd only have to run four miles each and the weather would be mild and besides, they had a year to train!

Fast forward to 5:30 this morning when I was being called all kinds of bad names! Yep! Today was race day! Despite the good natured whining I really do think everyone had a good time (well maybe except for Skye who sprained her ankle and had to walk half of her leg. I felt so bad because she's our fastest runner. What's worse is that even with a sprained ankle, she still turned in the fastest split!)

Anyway we called ourselves Team Bodacity (as in the line from Kung Fu Panda "They were no match for our bodacity!") and we made t-shirts and each adopted a character from the film! It was great fun! And we decorated my jeep (which served as the team vehicle.)

But here we are, bright eyed and ready to go at 6:30am! It was about 45 degrees and very windy!

We even made shirts for all of our support crew, daddy (pictured), mom, the husbands and kids! Dad wanted the kids to see their mom run and since Shiloh had the first leg, he had them up at 5:00am, breakfast, fed, dressed, and up on a hill past Teton by 7:00am! Shiloh was happily surprised to see them all there cheering her on!

Waiting to cheer on our first runner at the 2.5 mile mark! (And six of the seven munchkins pictured here belong to her!) So the first check point was at mile 4, which was where I (as the 2nd runner) would take over for the next five miles however we got a little lost getting from the cheering point to the checkpoint, so by the time we found Shiloh it was about 4.15 miles and I was basically shoved out of the jeep while it was still going and ripping my sweats off while trying to run.

This was at about 7:20am when we did the first exchange. That's Shiloh there of course and the guy in yellow actually ended up finishing very last in the race. (We stuck around after we were done to cheer everyone on!) Still I was so impressed with him. His first marathon and he stuck it out and managed to finish in under 6:30. I only hope that I do as well in my first this August!
Sadly this is the point where my camera battery died. Oops! Guess I'll have to remember to charge it next time. But thankfully Cami and Mom got some great pictures so I'll just steal some of theirs and continue this post at that time.

What I can tell you is that I had a great time getting to do this with all of my sisters. We had so much fun just being silly and cheering on the entire field. It made me so excited to do my next race. And I'm even planning on doing the full Dam Marathon next year! (And daddy said that if he's in Idaho, he'll do it with me!)


Hillary and Jake said...

I had a great time too. Thank you for your organizational efforts

Ryan and Skye Lowry said...

Shouldn't your dad's shirt say; Bodacty began with me or I started Bodacity. seeing as he is the papa.

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

How come I don't get any Bodacious credit?