Sunday, June 15, 2008

Orange Obsession

Okay so I know it's bad enough that you all have to put up with me during basketball season as I rant and rave and spew out statistics and nicknames most of you would never recognize and definitely don't care about. But sadly, I have a confession to make.

Once every two years there is another sport that captures my attention. I realize that it may be true that "Americans will never embrace soccer" but I think anyone who has been in a country where "football" is THE sport, can't help but get drawn in. It's amazing to see the atmosphere created by fans who make us look like casual spectators at the biggest sporting events we know. Soccer games, and especially championships are like our World Series, NBA Finals, Superbowl and March Madness all rolled into one.

I never cared until Amsterdam. That's where I was during the European Championships in 2000. When the Netherlands and Belgium were the host countries. When games were played at the ArenA we had to travel past everyday. When suddenly the city was absolutely flooded by people from all over Europe covered in body paint and draped in the flags of their country as we all crushed into trams, trains and busses. The beer vendors handing out goofy soccer ball hats for free (yes, I have one), getting stuck on a tram in the Rembrandtplein because of the crowd swarming the streets, and hearing every car horn honk and audible shrieks and screams from the entire city every time the Dutch score a goal is almost magical. It's incredible. The entire country almost stops functioning while the Orange Eleven are still in contention. Even without TV or radio it was impossible not to know how the "elftaal" were doing in the tournament. Every newspaper, billboard and passerby relived and relished the minute details of each game.

When the Dutch were defeated by the Italians in the semi-finals on a penalty kick, it was like a day of mourning. Every one, everywhere seemed affected by the "disaster" as it was called in the papers. (It didn't help that the organizers dyed the water in two fountains in Rotterdam blue to honor the French when they eventually beat Italy in the final. That was just salt in the wound.)

It was the passion of the people that drew me in. Suddenly I felt I had found kindred spirits. Here were people who took their sport seriously. Who followed statistics and debated the merits of upcoming opponents and verbally abused referrees who made questionable calls. People whose entire day revolved around tonight's game, or last night's highlight reel. The only problem was, I was that crazy about basketball and they were all crazy about "voetball." Even so I felt a connection with them. So I decided to learn about their game. I figured if nothing else it would enable me not to seem completely ignorant when someone asked about the game.

What happened? Well, I'm sure the title of this post says it all. I got swept away. And now every two years during the European Championships and the World Cup, I pulled out my "Only Oranje" T-shirt, put on my aforementioned goofy beer vendor soccer hat and allow myself to get caught up in the beautiful game.

This year it truly is beautiful. The Dutch team that the experts said was "weak" on defense, is kicking butt and taking names. And they're not just beating up no-name teams, they've dismantled some of the world's elite football teams so far. First they held reigning World Cup champs, Italy scoreless while they racked up 3 goals. Then they allowed 1998 World Cup, & 2000 Euro Cup champion and reigning World Cup runner-up France only one goal to their four in the second game. They truly seem to be on a mission. And I feel like painting my face and wearing my soccer hat around permanently.

The only problem? I've been out of town, camping with my mother, sister and brother and haven't been able to see a single game. Tonight is the first night I've had internet to even check the standings. Friday in the restaurant at lunch time, I kept my eyes glued to the TV over the bar watching ESPN and hoping they'd mention the Euros. (They did briefly thank goodness. At least I knew the Dutch had won.)

So my Orange obsession will have to wait until Wednesday to be fed again. Good thing Tuesday's game vs Romania is just a formality. (It doesn't matter what result they get, they've already advanced.) If it were an important game I just might have to make my mom find a Mexican restuarant along the drive somewhere with a TV tuned to ESPN2 over the bar, (because, once again, Americans are the only people in the world who haven't embraced soccer) so I could sneak glances while I pretended to make an enchilada and some chile rellenos last for 90 minutes.

In the meantime, "Laat de leeuw niet in z'n hempie staan, HUP HOLLAND HUP!"

5 comments:

Familie Märki said...

KEEP UP THE SPIRIT CALI!! Hilarious, what you wrote! Thank you soooo much for supporting us from the other side of the ocean:) Soooooo funny to read your enthousiasm and meeleven.. ooh vergeten dat we ook gewoon in het Nederlands konden schrijven..
Bedankt voor je prachtige stukje in het ORANJE en we zullen je laten weten met welke stand en hoeveel punten Nederland morgen GEWONNEN heeft ;-)
Veel liefs van Maaike en Sia
p.s. mama zal je een poster van het winnende team opsturen, dan kan je hem op Gideon's kamer ophangen en zo kan hij al vroeg liefde leren ontwikkelen voor Oranje! HET Nederlands Elftal! (Jong geleerd is oud gedaan.. zegt het spreekwoord;)

Jennie said...

Cali, LOVE the memories of nederland during the European Championship. I was in Rotterdam then and have similar feelings toward the passion of voetbal in nederland. Although I didn't get one of those cool hats. Thanks for taking a walk with me down memory lane!

Unknown said...

Sweet! That sounds awesome! It gives me another thing to add to my list of places to go and things to see. When we one day do our tour of Europe we'll go there. But you have to come with me because I'll need a translator and a crazy fan next to me so I fit in.
Skye Bee

Juli said...

Awwww, memories. I was in Franeker at the time. I remember people closed their stores early to go watch it. It was like a holiday. Arik's got a jersey that I usually break out when I'm huge and prego to wear as pj's, comfy.

Cali and Travis said...

Sia, mijn hotmail adres is: calic920 @ hotmail

Email me en ik kan je mijn telefoon nummer stuuren.

Ik vond het leuk om iets van je te horen.

Veel Liefs,
Cali