Friday, May 8, 2009

Our journey southward....

Today we loaded up the munchkins and headed south. As far south as you can go in the Continental U.S. The babies did pretty good. We stopped a few times on the way down and let them get out of the car. Still, they were ready to be out by the time we got there. They just don't appreciate the scenery on the drive down the way that adults do. For me, the drive was half the fun. Getting to visit with Cami and enjoy the views of the ocean and various Keys. The drive is definitely spectacular!

And I really enjoyed Key West. Yes, it's kind of a tourist trap, but it was fun. We parked the car and walked all around. There were a lot of museums and stuff I'd like to have gone into (particularly the Pirate Museum) but with two restless kids, it just wasn't going to happen. So we took pictures outside and visited the gift shops. Maybe next time. Still we managed to see a lot of cool stuff. It was a pretty long walk, but not bad at all. We were hot and sweaty by the time we were done, but we felt pretty good. And we did one of the top five things on my list which was try some Cuban food. It was amazing! I had garlic grilled chicken with sweet onions served with yellow rice, black beans and fried plantains. It was excellent. Cami got roasted pork with sweet onions, yucca and a tamale. It was all delectable. We didn't get home until 11:30, and we got to see Jacob who got back from his business trip today. Gideon went to bed pretty quickly, but we adults stayed up visiting until way too late. Still, I'd have been done with this half an hour ago, but SLIDE went down for maintainance as I hit the save button, so I had to start from the beginning. How very annoying!




PS Sorry there's no music with this slideshow. It's nearly 3am and I'm so fried I can't even think of a song to add at the moment.

1 comment:

Juli said...

What fun, and wow, Cuban food sounds pretty amazing right now.