Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pins and Needles

Okay because I know some of you might come after me if I don't get the update out here soon, here goes.

First of all let me just say, she is just the cutest thing! In order to respect her privacy, I'm not going to use her name. It was quite nervewracking at first, but the longer we sat and visited with her, the more comfortable the atmosphere became. She was very reserved and would really only speak when we asked her direct questions. But she willingly answered. And she had quite a few questions for us. The caseworkers really directed the conversation at first, but the longer it went on, the less they had to guide us and all of us were able to speak more easily and freely.

I could gush about her for a long while, but again, at this point I think it's more important to respect her privacy. So I'll just give you the outcome. She hasn't officially chosen us yet. But by the end of the conversation we were discussing what type of adoption we'd all be comfortable with and what level of contact we'd like to maintain. (It was actually awesome because her ideas of what she wanted and our ideas of what we'd be willing to agree to were exactly in sync.) She reiterated several times that she appreciated us being willing to meet with her. And she asked if we'd be willing to do another meeting with her parents if she were to choose us. (Naturally we're okay with that.) She said she would have an answer for us very soon because she didn't us to feel like she was stringing us along. So we're hoping to know something within the next week. Either way, she is definitely planning on making a decision soon, because let's face it, pregnancy has a time limit. And this time limit will expire quite soon because she's due March 21st. (YIKES That's sooooo soon!)

So anyway, I'll pass along more information as soon as I get it. Until then, the title of this blog says it all.

PS - She's having a boy!

10 comments:

Leisha Mareth said...

The way you described that sounds exactly like the first meeting with our first child's birthmother. Except we only met her once and her parent's were with her at the time.

If you are the only couple she is seriously considering...and she is due March 21st...I'm thinking the odds are looking very good in your favor! We'll be praying for you!

Angela S said...

I'm so so so so glad it went well. We will keep praying for you and she.

One thing a few friends have done is picked a letter, not that her name starts with but random, to call a birth mom. Like It was great meeting A. And then you can maintain privacy.

Wow, March 21st is only like 5 weeks away! Just keep breathing, slowly, and continuously. You can do this!

Scott, Julie and Kaylie said...

All I have to say is WOW! That is so awesome!! I am so glad the meeting went well! We will DEFINITELY continue to pray our little hearts out for you! I can't tell you how much I love these birth moms. They are such sacred women with so much courage and Faith. And great examples to the rest of us. I can't wait to hear all the updates!!!
Luv ya!

Andrea (Annie) said...

You know, its funny that after you told us Tuesday night, I could not sleep that night! I was nervous for you and thinking about you every minute that night and all of Wednesday. So glad to hear that things are going so well. I will keep praying and hoping that everything will turn out and that you can be a mommy! So wonderful!
Andrea Hamblin

Juli said...

Yippy! Wow, so exciting, yet nerve wracking at the same time. We'll keep you in our thoughts & prayers. I'll keep checkin' the blog to keep me posted!

leschornmom said...

Cali, John and I are thinking of you! The two of you are in our prayers!

Jessica said...

That's super exciting! Maybe she'll have the baby on Jesse's birthday! We hope all goes well for you!

William said...

I will be holding my breath with you as you wait for a decision. Of the many people I know you two are at the top of my list of those deserving to be parents.

Carlotta said...

I ran into your blog through leishas. Anyways this gives me chills and makes my heart stop. As a birth mom the best thing my family and I did was to set basic expectations and then if more happened we were ok with it also. Changes will happen. I saw them a lot at first and now I am going through a phase where not so much. Times will change. Flexibility works. It is an emotional roller coaster but one I would ride again. Love my baby and their family. I have an instant love for families that are adopting. I don't have to meet any of them. Just reading the story is enough. I pray it all goes smoothly and that the peace you need to feel can rest on you. It is such an intense experience. SO much LOVE!!! Will be standing by for the updates.

reanda said...

Cali, I am so happy for you and Travis. I know you have been wanting this for a long time. This sounds really promising. I will be praying for you and the birth mother. The Lord always provides for us! God Bless you! Love you! Reanda