Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tribute to a Champion

I don't know how many people can claim their youngest sibling as one of their heroes, but I can and do. Cody has been one of my heroes for a while now. (In many ways I've felt that he's Nephi to my Laman or Lemuel.) Over the last several years I've learned a lot from my baby brother. But this weekend, he taught me once again what being a champion is all about.

You all know of course that Cody placed 2nd at Districts and went to State Championships this weekend as the 6th seed in his weight class. He's a great wrestler and even though he was seeded 6th, the truth is, he's as good as any kid in the state. So hopes and expectations were extremely high.

On Thursday he got sick. Not from nerves, but the flu. Still, shaking with a fever and chills and a queasy stomach, he went out and scored a victory in his first match. (Then he went back to the hotel and crashed for a couple of hours.) Since he won, he didn't have to wrestle again until Friday morning which gave him time to rest up and feel better.

We knew his first match Friday would be a tough match for him. It was against the only kid in the district he'd never beat. But Cody went out and wrestled a spectacular match. In the waning seconds of the last period, the other kid had a one point lead, and then Cody got a take down. But the referree didn't award the points before the time expired, so Cody lost. Coach argued it and half the fans were booing but it didn't matter. The Referree's call (or lack of in this case) stood. Cody amazed us all by coming off the mat with a grin, "It's okay, I'll still take 3rd place" were the first words out of his mouth. Still it was difficult for the rest of us to know that he went out and got the job done, but had it taken away from him. It made it worse that for the rest of the weekend we were approached by fans, coaches and wrestlers from other teams who all said basically the same thing "You were robbed." (In all fairness, most of the refereeing was great this weekend, but there were a few terrible calls, and Cody was not the only one who got ripped off in a match.)

His next match he won. Which meant that he had to win only one more on Friday night to be locked into the top six. (In wrestling, the top six places medal and stand on the podium.) That match was against Josh Jeffries of Highland. A good wrestler and a good kid. We've gotten to know the Jeffries family somewhat through the season and we really like them and their son. In both head to head meetings this season Cody won by very slim margins. And he was the first to say they were the toughest matches he's wrestled this year. In fact, after his over time victory over Josh at Districts Cody came off the mat exhausted and said, "That's the hardest match I've ever wrestled." Josh is a senior, Cody is a junior.

And on Friday night, Josh just wanted it more. Late in the final period, Josh was up five points and the coaches and ref's were in conference at the table about the score or something. Cody and Josh were kneeling on the mat, both exhausted and taking advantage of the unexpected breather. From my perch way up in the stands I could see they were talking. And then they reached across the mat and shook hands. The match wasn't over yet. No one had won or lost. But here were these two kids demonstrating what sportsmanship really is. Moments later when the match officially ended, they shook hands again and embraced for just a second and spoke. Cody's season had ended, while Josh moved on to the rounds Saturday which would determine where on the podium he would stand. I don't know the exact conversation that took place at the time, but I know now that the match was bittersweet for both of them. On Cody's part he was sad to have lost, but I know that he was truly happy that Josh would end up with a state medal from his final season. And Josh was thrilled to have won, but sad that he had to put Cody out of the tournament in order to advance. Because Josh reiterated the sentiment we hadn't stopped hearing all day, "You weren't supposed to have been in this match."

I found myself moved to tears by Cody's maturity and grace. He walked off the mat accepting the defeat like a man. He didn't get mad and stomp off, refusing to shake hands. He didn't throw his head gear or curse out loud or sit down and cry. He simply walked off. (And then he smiled a big smile at Josh and said, "Hey you may have won, but I think I get the prize. I don't have to make weight again. I'm going to get an ice cream." And within minutes he'd downed an ice cream cone and two chocolate milks.)

I don't know how he did it with a smile on his face Saturday. Cheering on Josh and the others as they climbed on the podium. All the while knowing he was supposed to have been down there. Knowing that he deserved to be down there and did his part to get there. I know that he's sad. It hurts to have everything you've dreamed about and worked so hard for taken away from you. And yet he's not bitter or angry at the ref, or the other wrestler. (He even chastised my parents and I for shouting at a ref during a bad call in another match on Saturday.) He laughed and joked an cheered for everyone else on Saturday. He never made a negative comment about the referee or the wrestler who stole his dream. Only when we were in the car on the long drive back did any of the weariness begin to show. And even then he only sighed and said, "It's time to go home. I'm tired."

Last minute strategizing



Cody & I checking out the competition


Hillary, Dad & Cody, Saturday morning watching the finals



Oh yeah I almost forgot! Cody's ear got tweaked really bad on Friday and filled up with blood (commonly known as "Cauliflower Ear.") So a doctor had to drain the blood and fluid out of it twice on Saturday then wrapped him up like a war veteran. And he has to wear the wrap for a week. (The doctor told him, "It's sympathy points with the ladies.") I'm just wondering how that's going to look with his suit at church in the morning.



I got cold so I borrowed Cody's jacket. I can still pass for a high school kid, right? (Just Kidding! Please don't answer that question it was rhetorical!)

5 comments:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Thank you Cali. I wasn't quite sure how to write what I felt about your brother and this weekend. You have done it for me. I will just put up pictures and refer everyone to your page.

leschornmom said...

I truly hope that my boys turn out like this young man. Good for him!
I love that your family is so close!

Leisha Mareth said...

Wow. I can only imagine the great example he set for so many there. I'm so impressed. And, yes, you DO look like a HS girl!

Cathy Shields said...

Woweeeeeeee! How exciting and bittersweet. Cali you are so right about a champion. True Champions know what's important. And Cody surely fits that bill. Isn't it interesting that little bro is still teaching big sis a thing or two.

Lombardo Family said...

I don't even know this kid and I'm so impressed! Wish I had a daughter his age (actually no I don't)but if I did how I'd love for her to like him. It must be that Idaho air. Some of the greatest people I've ever known come from your state. You're a great sister to be so supportive. Thanks for the good example Cal.