Friday, February 1, 2008

Pope's Gourmet Grilled Cheese

I had a fun visitor this week in the form of Melissa Popiel (one of my mission companions for those who are wondering.) She braved the Idaho winter to come spend a few days with me. For me one of the big perks of having her around, is that (just as she did on the mission) Pope cooks for me. And for those who don't know, she's quite the chef. She's pictured below eating blueberry pancakes with a homemade caramel sauce, topped with bananas and cream. (It was heavenly.) But the highlight of our culinary adventures, was the homemade creme brulee (yum!) She even taught me how to make gourmet grilled cheese (which I'm proudly displaying in the photo below.) For those dissenters who don't believe there's such a thing as a "gourmet" grilled cheese, I have only this to say, "Yeah right!" This was no Kraft American single flanked by two slices of Wonder bread. This involved a ciabatta loaf, buffalo mozzerella, roma tomatoes, fresh basil and something called an egg wash. It made my taste buds and my tummy very happy.




Amazingly, I didn't gain any weight during her stay (although that could be because I actually lost weight the previous week from being so sick.) And we did manage to find a few things to keep us occupied, even though I was still recovering from the flu. Pope's desire to do something "touristy" led us to embark on a somewhat hazardous road trip to Soda Springs yesterday. It's not really a tourist town, but it does have an old hotel, a museum and a geyser. We even managed to find the "Brigham Young Lodge Memorial" although we drove past it at least twice because the site sits on what is now occupied by a trailer park. (I'm not kidding.)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Cali,
Jesse told me about your blog and I had to have a peek. You need to get her to make one too! Feel free to come take a look at mine whenever! Hopefully I'll see you soon, wink!