Monday, May 26, 2008

Sleeping through the Memorial Day Kidney Stones

So normally Memorial Day is the first of our relaxing summer weekends at the cabin. We sit by the fire, read books, play cards, take hikes and in general enjoy the time away from civilization. But when the forecast earlier in the week started calling for Thunderstorms, sleet and freezing rain, we decided that perhaps this wasn't the best year to go to the cabin.

So we went computer shopping with Nana and Papa. They got a new laptop. By the way, Gideon loves this sling and I'm so glad I have it because it makes shopping with him so much easier. But I totally have to stroke my vanity for a minute here. I was trying to explain to the sales guy (who looked barely out of his teens) that my in-laws haven't had a new computer in 16 years and I said something about being in high school in the early 90's and he didn't believe me. He said there was no way I was that old, I didn't look over 25. I know, I know, you probably all think he was just trying to sell me something and therefore flattering me, but it still made me feel good that this little boy was so shocked an amazed to find out that I'm actually 30. Kind of like the time 3 years ago when Derek's high school buddies all thought I was a college student he was hitting on. I know I don't look that young, but sometimes it's nice to know that you can still fool some people.



We did go up to the cabin for an afternoon, but only to unlock it, sweep it out and unload water and firewood. It was sunny for about an hour while we were there and then it got nasty again. Still Gideon made his first trip to the cabin. We can't wait to take him back when we can stay and enjoy it.



We went out to eat for Nana's birthday.



Guess who picked out this outfit?

The weekend wasn't without drama, however. Travis started complaining on Thursday or Friday that he was in a lot of pain. Saturday night he developed other symptoms (I don't want to gross anyone out, so I won't go into detail.) Anyway, Sunday instead of going to church I basically kidnapped him and forced him to go to the urgent care clinic. (Naturally he was trying to be a martyr and wouldn't go. I was just afraid he'd develop an infection or something.) And guess what? That's right. Kidney Stones. The doctor said the best thing to do is to try and pass them, but if he hadn't passed them in two days then to come back and they'd send him to the hospital for laser treatment. Needless to say Trav was in a lot of pain for most of the weekend making him quite cranky no matter what we did. The doc prescribed an antibiotic to help prevent an infection, but didn't give him any pain meds. So it was a long night last night with Travis up every couple of hours. Answering nature's call was especially painful for him. Long story short, he must have finally passed the stone(s) at some point last night because he woke up at 7:00 this morning already feeling better. He was even back to teasing his wife mercilessly as usual by this afternoon.

Still our holiday weekend wasn't without it's little victories. We went to see the new Indiana Jones movie at one point. And the munchkin has begun sleeping through the night. Actually that started almost a week ago, but I was afraid it was a fluke so I hadn't posted it yet. Anyway he's been sleeping from about 9:30 until 4:30am (which is when Travis gets up to go to work.) So we're pretty excited about that. I just keep crossing my fingers that perhaps he'll start sleeping a little bit later. I know Travis gets up at 4:30, but I generally don't, so if he could stretch it to 6:30 or so, I'd be thrilled. But I won't complain. I figure that's pretty good considering he's only 2 months old right?

3 comments:

Angela S said...

Talk about suckage! Glad it passed so quickly!

Cathy Shields said...

I so wish they had those slings when I had kids!! How comfy. Love the pics

Leisha Mareth said...

Yikes, kidney stones!? It's the only time I've seen my father really sob in his life!

And, p.s. you totally look like Gideon's babysitter in that first pic!