Sunday, March 30, 2008

Home At Last!

Have you ever had days where you're so emotionally drained that you feel like a sponge which has been wrung out until it's practically dry. Well, that's been me for the last oh, six weeks or so. And the last week especially has been draining.

I don't think I'll ever be able to describe what placement was like. But I'll do my best to give you an idea. Months ago I had posted a picture of the lap quilt I made for our birth mom. Well we took that with us to give to B. We actually got to the agency before B and her family so that we could do some necessary paperwork. I was trembling so much as we were signing that the caseworker actually asked if I was going to be okay. She kept having to remind me to breathe. After B and her family arrived we were taken into the room where she waited with her parents and one of her sisters. I could tell when we walked in that B was already struggling.

We managed to have a pleasant visit, although B didn't really say much unless we asked her a direct question. We took pictures of all of us together. (Maybe someday I'll post those, but for now, that's too private.) A bunch of her friends had thrown a shower for her last week, so they gave us bags upon bags of clothes, blankets and other cute little items. I was on the verge of tears for most of the visit and every now and then one would escape down my cheek.

I started crying in earnest as we gave her the quilt and explained it to her. Then someone asked her family to talk about their dreams for the child and things they'd like us to tell him as he grows. (The tears of course kept coming.) B was crying by this time as well. My heart was just breaking for her. "Why?" I couldn't help but think. "Why does the greatest gift in my life have to be the source of so much pain for someone else?" She got up and walked over and placed him in my arms, but had to turn and run back to her mother. She couldn't manage hugging us at that point. We said our goodbyes and his birth grandparents each kissed him one more time and handed us letters they'd written for him before leaving.

And suddenly we were alone with our son. With this perfect little sleeping baby. The moment they were out of the room Travis said, "Hey hand him over." So that by the time the caseworker came back in to get us Travis was holding him and I was sobbing as I kissed the top of his head. (Thank goodness for waterproof mascara.)

On the drive home I sat in the back seat with him just staring at his perfect little face sticking out of the blankets. It didn't matter that he was nestled comfortably into his car seat. Or that the drive home only takes ten minutes. I couldn't stand the thought of sitting in the front not being able to look at him.

Once at home we were greeted by a welcoming committee of my mom, my sisters Hillary & Jesse, Jesse's husband Kelly and my brother Cody as well as Trav's parents. Naturally for the first two hours we were home he didn't get to lie down or stretch out at all. He just got passed around from one person to the next. (There was even help with dirty diapers.) Not that he seemed to mind. He woke up and looked around and talked a lot. Travis was afraid I was going to blind him by taking so many pictures.

So we changed clothes and tried to acustom ourselves to the idea of parenthood. Right now it still seems very surreal. I've cried a lot. Not in a bad way at all. It's just been an emotional day. Everything has been building to this. And now that it's here I'm so happy I can't stop crying.

And so now we embark on our first sleepless night. May there be many more to follow. Good night.



This is the first time we got to feed him, an hour or so after arriving home. (Travis took him from me right after this picture was taken because he said he wanted to feed him too. It was actually quite cute.)



With Papa Willard (Trav's dad.) This is his first grandson. He was so cute, he didn't want to let anyone else have a turn to hold him. Not even his wife. (She took him away anyway.)



That's Grandma Cindy (my mom) who, of course spent half the afternoon on the phone calling as much of the extended family as she could get hold of.



Not bad considering I'd been crying for about five hours at this point.

13 comments:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

yea!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats big sis!

the splendid life of us... said...

I could not go to bed tonight until I knew he was in your arms! He is so beautiful! I know the emotionally draining part. I cried for at least a week straight everytime I thought about McCoy's birthmother and everytime I thought about the hospital and placement. Thank you for sharing your story...it reminded me that I need to finish typing up McCoy's birth story before I forget all the details. Congrats Mommy and enjoy everysecond they grow so fast!

dust and kam said...

Cali - I am so happy for you! What a special day for you! Congratulations! He is adorable!

Welcome Home little one!!

Unknown said...

I know you don't know me but I found you through Kamie. I just wanted to say congratulations. What an exciting time for your family. We have a 3 year old who was also adopted and are hoping to adopt # 2 someday!! The best of luck to you and your NEW family of THREE!!! :) ADOPTION IS TRULY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leisha Mareth said...

I went to bed after I got your Mom's e-mail, so I missed this last night!

Hooray! Happy Tears! Hooray!

That last picture just makes my heart smile! Perfection.

Is it even possible that he is even cuter than the last pics we saw of him? Well, he is! What a handsome boy and what a beautiful family!

Congratulations again! Love you!

Jennie said...

I am so happy for you! We were gone all day yesterday and I thought about you the whole time! I couldn't wait to get back to my computer to...well, to just make SURE he was HOME!

Cathy Shields said...

You and the baby are both beautiful

Matt and Jama said...

We are so glad he is finally home with his family. He is so handsome and you all look so happy. Congratulations Mommy and Daddy.

Mostly Jessica said...

This is soooo GREAT!!! What an amazing story you have to tell him as he grows older. And to see such love for him; he is truly blessed for what B has done. She is an angel.

Carlotta said...

Not sure why I look at blogs at work! Especially ones that have posts about adoption stories. Wow your post took me back to my placement in ways that I haven't felt since. It is the most unique day ever. I am almost 7months out and it is still surreal. Elisa says that she still feels like she needs to be pinched. He is beautiful if its ok to call a boy that. Deep breath. The hardest part of we may call it that is over. He is home and now for the best part of the adventure. Congratulations. Bless "B's" heart. She is a special angel and may she heal quickly. Congratulations over and over again!

CA Clayson Fam said...

Congrats. We are excited for you guys. It is so much fun to have a new baby. Enjoy him because they grow up way to fast!

William said...

I am always inspired by such stories. Congrats sis, I know the two of you will make great parents.