Monday, March 31, 2008

No Sleep

I figure that since I'm not sleeping anyway, I'll post more pictures of our boy. Gideon did so well last night it was amazing. We all went to bed about 11:00. And although Travis dropped off right away, I didn't sleep at all. Every squeak, every coo, every sigh had me running for the basinette to make sure he was okay. But then I'd go back to bed and it would be silent for three or four minutes and I'd run back to check him again. He slept about four hours. His 3:00am feeding was actually really good. He didn't even cry. I only knew he was awake because he was "talking." So daddy made the bottle while I did the diaper. He ate really well, he burped really well and went right back to sleep.

I, however, did not. About 4:00am I finally gave up and got up. I did the dishes, sorted some laundry, balanced the checkbook and am now getting ready to go put away some of the things his birth family sent home with him yesterday.



Are we total dorks if we're getting a kick out of calling each other "Mom" and "Dad?"







With Nana and Papa (Trav's parents.)

OH! That reminds me! So Sunday morning when we woke up there was no hot water. None whatsoever. An inspection of the water heater revealed that it's rusted through so we have to get an entirely new water heater. I guess it's a trip to Lowe's for us today. In the meantime, it's a good thing Trav's parents live so close. We'll be running over there this morning to shower. Ei-yai-yai!

10 comments:

Leisha Mareth said...

He's a total doll! And, of course you aren't dorks....Mom! Dad!

Juli said...

Cali! I'm so happy for you guys. He is beautiful. Wow, I can't relate with what you're going through, but I feel it. It's nice that you're so good with words and explain all of the emotions you've been going through. You guys will definately give him the life he needs & deserves. And about the Dad sleeping through every wimper, yeah, I don't understand how that works. I still wake up at every whimper/cry/whine for my littlest. I've been sleep deprived for 4 1/2 years, I'm just a little crazy, just a little.

Jennie said...

Cali, he is absolutely beautiful! You and Trav look like naturals!

Kelly and Jesse said...

I love him. He's so cute and snuggly.

Andrea (Annie) said...

Wow! He is such a beautiful little boy. I am grateful that you and Travis now have him. What a blessing for your family. Can't wait to meet the little man! Congrats!

Cathy Shields said...

I am so happy I am crying. Tears of joy for you. I am so glad he is finally there. Enjoy every minute of it.

Angela S said...

You communicate the emotion of everything so well I feel like I'm there too! I'm so overjoyed for both of you and excited you get to have your amazing baby in your home now. We'll continue to pray for the birthmom's peace and that you'll eventually get a little sleep. Congrats again!

Jessica said...

Oh, now I'm craving that "new baby" smell! He's adorable and I'm so happy that he's with you.
It sounds like you're going through all the regular things a new mommy does.
After we had Davy, David would leave for school and I'd just sit on the couch staring at Davy and bawling my eyes out. Then David would come home for lunch and ask "Have you moved at all?"
Enjoy each precious moment. And there's nothing wrong with calling eachother "Mom & Dad!"

Cathy Shields said...

OK I know this sounds kooky but last night I watched a rerun Nanny 911 and the family had twin adopted daughters which were the oldest children. The girls felt unimportant because the other 4 children were born in the family. Once Nanny got the family talking, the Mom told the adoptive daughters how important they were to them and how special they were. She said that they were special because they didn't come from Mommy's belly, they came from her heart. All I could do is think of you Cali and I cried forever. I am so glad you are on your way with G. I know you have a whole lot of love to give him.

Brad Phillips said...

Looks like you need to chage your profile now ;)