Saturday, March 15, 2008

The reasons I love March

I got married in March six years ago, during North Carolina's only losing basketball season since the early 1960's. At that time, I was grateful to have my wedding and being a newlywed to concentrate on so that I didn't have to obsess over the very frustrating fact that my boy's didn't make the post season for the first time in over 35 years. By getting married in March, I would always have at least one reason to celebrate in this month that can be either wonderful or agonizing if you're a basketball fan. Not to mention, March is notoriously cold and windy here (it snowed some more today) so I needed something to look forward to while I waited for summer. Now, of course, my first child will be born in March, giving us even more reason to always be able to celebrate in this the most fickle of months.

We met with B and her parents last night. She's getting closer each day. She reports contractions that come frequently when she's up and moving around, but slow down when she's resting. She's got a Dr. appointment on Monday and promised she would let us know how things are progressing. She also gave us some really cute outfits and shoes for Gideon. And we were able to get some pictures of all of us together. Out of respect for her privacy though, I'm not going to post those. At least not yet. We enjoyed getting to know her parents a little bit, and hearing more about her family. The meeting was very different from our last face-to-face because everyone was more comfortable and able to speak more easily and freely. Needless to say, everyone is quite anxious for him to finally arrive. And we know that each day brings us closer to his arrival. Some days (most days) I can't stand it! Which is why I'm so grateful for my usual March distraction of college basketball. It's truly been my saving grace this year!

My Play of the Year: Tyler Hansbrough A.K.A. "Psycho-T"

Speaking of basketball news, it was a heartstopper for my boys in baby blue today as Virginia Tech monopolized most of their ACC Tournament semi-final game today. But Tyler came through with .8 seconds left to hit the game winning shot. It was another stunning performance and so the Heels march to tomorrow's ACC Final which will be played against Clemson who upset Duke (YEAH!) in the other semi-final. (I cheered as much for the Tigers as I did for the Heels today.) It promises to be another hard fought game going right up to the wire. Tomorrow is also selection Sunday, so big tournament implications for both teams regarding seeding. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out! I LOVE MARCH!

4 comments:

Corey said...

clemson.... I couldn't believe it.

Cathy Shields said...

It's great that you have such a distraction especially now. But March will always be your favorite month. We have a heavy first quarter with birthdays and anniversaries and I was just talking about this yesterday. Today is my Dad's and we will be celebrating that after church. My favorite month is July. It's my birtday month and usually pretty pleasant weather wise. I keep checking to see if Gideon is born yet. I am afraid you'll be so busy you won't write in your blog. So I watch your Mother's also.
Very excited for you.

Leisha Mareth said...

Nothing more exciting than a good b-ball game, well except for a new baby! I'm glad the meeting went well! As I sit here feeding a newborn at midnight, I would like to remind you to rest up! Prepare to never sleep the same way again for the next 20 some odd years! (It's so worth it though!) Can't wait! C'mon Gideon!

the splendid life of us... said...

I so remember being anxious for McCoy to be born...I couldnt concentrate on anything, and yet I was so totally bored, it was agony!! I am so glad that you have a good distraction until his arrival! I can't wait to hear the good news and good luck with the roller coaster of emotions you are about to feel!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!