Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The update you're probably not waiting for

Okay so sorry about my breakdown last night. I'm usually much more in control, but knowing how many people were waiting to hear what was happening I definitely wanted to get a post put up. I probably should have waited until I wasn't quite so emotional because then it wouldn't seem like I was whining.

At any rate between a conversation with our caseworker this morning and another email from B, I have a little bit better idea of what had happened. (For the record, our caseworker didn't know that the baby wasn't born yesterday until I unloaded the whole story on him this morning. He seemed to feel really bad that we were treated as an afterthought and promised that he'd make sure even if he isn't here, that someone is on top of letting us know what's going on. He said, "If I were in your shoes I'd be desperate to know too." He's going to look into the breakdown in communication and see what happened so that it won't happen again.)

The reason they were going to induce B yesterday is because Spring Break is next week and she wanted to have the baby this week, so that she'll have all of next week to begin her recovery (both spiritually and physically I'm sure) and then can return to school without having to miss any more days than necessary. Given the situation and how close she is, the doctor agreed this was a good plan. (I'm so impressed at her dedication to keep up on her work and graduate on time. She seriously has a level of maturity that so many girls her age in this situation seem to lack.) Well when she got to the hospital yesterday morning, they didn't have enough beds. They kept her sort of "on call" for a few hours in case someone might get discharged or something might open up. But they soon realized that it wasn't going to happen that day. So they rescheduled her for Thursday. (Not next week, just Thursday. So like tomorrow. That makes way more sense to me.) Her email this morning was so cute. She seems so tired and worn out and just ready for all of this to be over. My heart just goes out to her. I wish there were something I could do for her to make it easier on her. (I told her in an email this morning I'd gladly come and rub her feet if she needed me to.)

So yesterday after spending all day wound up and freaking out (thanks so much to my wonderful family for rallying around to support me. Jesse took me out to lunch and then mom, Hillary and Cody came over and helped me clean the house a little and watched movies to distract me. I have absolutely no idea how they've put up with me for 30 years, especially as crazy and high strung as I was yesterday.) Anyway, after being at an emotional unraveling point for most of the day when we finally did get the call last night it kind of pushed me over the edge. Which is why all of you were subject to my tearful last post. Sorry again. So last night because I had to escape, I went and sang karaoke. Liz and T you guys were lifesavers. Thanks for hanging out with me and making me laugh. I really needed that.

And that's the news. B said she's pretty sure they'll be able to get her in tomorrow. So we'll wait with baited breath to see what happens. Thanks to everyone for all of your love and support. Sorry it's been something of an emotional roller-coaster over the last month. I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers. Much Love to all!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Erica and I love you and Travis, I wish we could do something to help, but for now you'll just have to settle with prayers and thoughts.

Please keep us up to date.

leschornmom said...

I thought it would be something like that. Women get "bumped" of the induction list all the time when beds are full.
I had a friend who's baby was not expected to live more than a few minutes after it was born and they bumperd her...three times.

Leisha Mareth said...

I can see you hold yourself to very high standards. And while I admire you for it, you don't need to apologize for being upset! High emotions under duress are NORMAL and okay! It didn't sound like whining to me, but even whining ocassionally is okay!

I'm glad everything was figured out and worked through! I hope that things go off without a hitch tomorrow! We will be in and out because it's spring break and I have all my kiddos (including my husband) here at home with me and we have a bunch of things planned, but I will make sure to keep checking in for the news!

xoxo

Jessica said...

As I was reading the part about you wishing you could help B, I was thinking in my head exactly what you said... you could rub her feet! I think that's one of the best things to do for a pregnant lady, is my husband reading this?!

jean said...

I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers! That first moment you hold him will be a miracle for you!

Cathy Shields said...

I for one, believe your justified in freaking out. But today is the day and today or tomorrow you could have him in your arms. I am wishing B the best and you and Travis also.

the splendid life of us... said...

I will be praying for all of you! I can't wait to hear the good news of little Gideons arrival! And you so have a right to freak out, I am glad that your caseworker was understanding about it too!

Carlotta said...

I have only looked about a million times today!I know I shouldn't expect anything yet but , HOLE-E-COW! I can't stand it from all angles! I feel an explosion happening inside me! What a rocking birth mom. She sounds like she has her head on as straight as possible. She is AMAZING! That's great that she has school and life to hop into . Better then sitting around having your head explode about what happened. I bet he is just adorable! Oh lots of pictures, can't wait!
SO EXCITED for you guys! I can't believe he's almost here.

leschornmom said...

Just wanted to hop on and let you know that you guys and B are on my mind today. I hope all goes well for you. you're in our family's prayers!