Monday, March 31, 2008

Parenthood: Day 1

No, I am not going to track each day of my life as a parent. However, I did think it would be interesting for you to know some of the things we learned on our first day as parents.

Gideon woke up at 6:30 and we had a great time getting him cleaned up and dressed and ready for the new day. (It was like dress up only way more fun!) Then Travis took him to his parents' house so that he could shower and I could crawl back in bed and try and catch up on a little of the sleep I didn't get last night. (I didn't get more than about 30 minutes though. I still had a lot on my mind and my mom and sisters kept calling. It's okay though. I forgive them.) Nana & Papa were naturally overjoyed to get to see him first thing in the morning although all he did was sleep. (See below.) But he's so cute no one cares!

After we were all showered and dressed it was off to meet the pediatrician. They decided to go ahead and make it his two week checkup. According to the doctor he's as healthy as a baby boy can be. And he weighs 7 lbs. 10 oz. so he's gaining weight well. I know circumcision is a "hot button" issue for a lot of people and I don't mean for this post to cause controversy, but in order to understand the whole day, you have to know that Travis and I did decide to have him circumcised. (We know everyone has their opinion that isn't what this is about. I'm not going to get into our reasons. It's not important.) Anyway I couldn't face being in there with him, so my mom came along. Travis and I waited in the room while they took him down the hall. They also did some other things including follow up screenings which involved pricking his heels. (He screamed so loud during that, I started crying. Thank goodness my mom was there. Even Travis was having a hard time.) Still the doctor said he did really, really well and just gave us an idea of what to look for and be aware of. So after the doctor and nurse beat up on him a little bit, we got sandwiches and came home.

By this time I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, but I tried to convince myself laundry was more important. In the end it wasn't. He was having a hard time staying asleep in his basinette so I put him in bed with me and we both settled down almost immediately and took a little nap. (He's the best snuggle bunny ever!) I actually slept for almost 40 minutes and probably wouldn't have woken up if he hadn't sneezed on me. (But it was the cutest sneeze ever so I forgave him.) It was time to get up anyway because I had a hair appointment this afternoon with Jesse.



(PS I hate this picture of me, but he's so darling, I had to post it. It just felt so good to have him tucked in right there next to me.)

The idea for the afternoon had originally been that I would go get my hair done and Travis would spend some quality Father/Son bonding time with Gideon. But the water heater drama changed all of that. So instead of taking the baby he was shopping for and installing a new water heater. (The good news is, we now have hot water again. And somehow also a larger capacity water heater. Not sure why that was necessary. I think he knew I was too tired to question his judgement today.) Anyway since I didn't want to drag him to the salon to sit and wait for two hours, Grandma Cindy spent the afternoon with him. (Yeah. That just broke her heart.)

Anyway Trav's parents brought over dinner and we enjoyed the time with them of course. And they enjoyed their grandson, of course.

By this time we were getting really concerned because he was very cranky and more tender and bloody than we thought he would be. So back to the doctor we went.

The P.A. who checked him out must of got on his bad side because every time she got close to his area, he peed or pooped. All over the place. All over the table, the P.A. and his clothes. Luckily I'm notorious for over packing on every occasion and my diaper bag is no different. We had a complete change of clothes for him as well as a bag for the soiled items. The good news is that after she cleaned him up a little bit, she said he was actually doing well and reassured us that it looked good. (It did look a lot better after she cleaned him up.) He was much more calm all the way back home. I sat in the backseat with him and he held onto my finger and talked to me.

After he at some dinner and was kissed by his grandparents again, it was finally time for bed. And he's resting like an angel. He truly seems to be calm and happy now, so that's very good.



Finally to bed! Sleep well everyone.

6 comments:

dust and kam said...

He is just such a cutie!

Thanks for sharing your day! I hope you get a little bit of sleep tonight!

Lila said...

it is so exciting to see your story unfold. I have come across your site through R House, and I am so blessed to be able to see the stories of those similar to me unfold. I hope that someday, I will be able to do as you are doing, and share your experiences. I am excited to hear more about parenting!! Do you have an open adoption?

Mark Lyndon said...

The PA's and nurses get told to tell the parents that it looks fine, even if it doesn't. I just wish people would leave their babies alone. There just isn't any need for that kind of surgery. If you wait till they're six months old, they can at least have general anaesthetic.

Andrea (Annie) said...

Cali, I hope you don't take the previous post personally. It is your decision as a parent to do what you feel is necessary for your baby and I am sorry that others judge. If you are going to the Dr. that I think you are going to he and his staff are wonderful and they are very attentive to your needs and the needs of your baby. You just continue to do what you feel is right for your baby...that is what is important. Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute with your little guy, even with all the pooping, peeing, and no sleep...it is all so worth it!

Leisha Mareth said...

How fun..! Those first few days of parenthood are so exciting and fun! Especially with all the anticipation of his arrival! Honestly, it never gets old! Every new baby is so exciting. All the pictures are so precious, especially the one of you 2 sleeping together! A must-have for every new Mom! I don't mind if you update every day of your life as a Mom...I enjoy it thoroughly!

Leisha Mareth said...

p.s. You look FAB for having a week old baby! I'm sure you'll get tons of compliments! (another great benefit of adoption!)