Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The dangers of a perfect child

I know every parent thinks their child is perfect, but mine honestly is. Gideon had another great night. He didn't cry when he was ready for his feeding. He just "talked" and let us know he was ready. His feeding, diapering and burping went great and then he went straight back to sleep. The only difference from the previous night is that I actually slept a little too. (Still not as much as usual, but some.)

Travis went back to work today, so when he got up at 5:30 to go, Gideon thought he was ready for another feeding. (We were only happy to oblige.) Because he ate at 5:30 he ended up sleeping until almost 8:00, (which was great for mom.)

But this is dangerous. It's nearly 10:00am and what have I done today? Nothing. I'm still in my pj's. There are several loads of laundry to be done, dishes that need put away, bottles that need washed and what have I done for the last two hours? Spent it completely wrapped up in my son. He was awake for a while so we had a nice chat. But he fell asleep an hour ago and yet all I've been able to do is hold him and stare into his perfect face. Watch him yawn and stretch, listen to him breathe. And wonder how on earth I deserve to be so blessed. I almost cried when I put him down. Because now I have to go do something other than stare at him.

As an interesting sidebar (or uninteresting) my parents have both said that it's absolutely unfair that I get such a good baby on my first try. Apparently I was one of those types that screamed bloody murder every two hours for the first year of my life. By the time Shiloh was born they thought something was wrong with her because she slept so much and was so content.

9 comments:

dust and kam said...

He is a perfect baby! And cute too! (Maybe it's the great parenting!!)

Have a good day talking to little Gideon. You can do your dishes and laundry tomorrow! ;)

Jessica said...

I'm loving all the darling pictures! And it's your right as a new mother to not do a single chore for the first week at least!

Julie Bird said...

AAAHHHHH!! I am crying right now looking at all your pictures! He is PERFECT!! Ok, so after all the waiting, those first few seconds when you are finally ALONE with him is the most amazing, don't you think? He is YOURS!!! I bet he is so happy to finally be with his mommy and daddy! I am so happy for you I can't even put it in words. I only wish we lived closer so I could come by and cuddle him! Congrats! luv ya tons!

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Don't wast one minute on chores. They will be there tomorrow and we can help you! Enjoy this special morning time with Gideon.

Lombardo Family said...

Oh Cali, he is beautiful. This story of yours and Travis's is such a tear jerker. I am so happy for you guys. He sure does look perfect. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Zoe said...

I'm so happy for you. Steve told me that you were getting your little man this week and I'm so glad he's finally with you. I think you deserve to just sit back and enjoy him, what a great time, treasure every minute! Dishes can be taken care of later but the time spent with your kids can never been redone, ENJOY!

Cathy Shields said...

Don't worry about Chores there will be plenty of time for that. Enjoy your baby as they really do grow fast. And be happy he is such a happy baby. All of mine slept through the night by two weeks old. And none were what I would call bad babies. Just enjoy. That's what this time is meant for.

Cathy Shields said...

I didn't mean "bad" babies as there isn't any such thing. But you know what I meant.

Leisha Mareth said...

What? The 'Mother's Curse' has lost it's power?? Thank goodness! Im glad he is such a calm and snuggly little fellow! And, please...how could you not want to stare at him all day!? He's so stinkin' cute!