Friday, April 4, 2008

Gideon's Big Brother

Who says animals don't have a sense about what's happening? Before Gideon came home with us, anytime Travis or myself would hold a baby (particularly Shiloh's Lydia or Preston) Crookshanks would get MAD! Mad to where he'd meow angrily, jump up on our lap and try and force his way into the place occupied by the baby. And when that didn't succeed he'd get even angrier and ignore both of us for the rest of the day. Especially Travis.

Well, it was a concern of mine when we brought Gideon home that he'd react the same way. Amazingly, Crookshanks has done very well. He sniffed around the baby the first night we were home, but didn't meow or get angry. For the last couple of days, he'd walk into the room, see which of us was holding the baby and go straight to the lap of the other.

Well this evening something changed. Not only has he warmed up to the child, but Crookshanks has become somewhat protective of his "little brother." See below



It's an interesting phenomenon I thought you'd get a kick out of. I know we sure have.

So I don't know how many of you were praying for me not to get sick, but when I woke up in the wee hours throwing up, I realized that it wasn't enough of you. So first thing this morning Gideon went to Nana and Papa's again. And mom and dad stayed in bed until nearly 11:00. The good news is that neither of us is running a fever today. In fact, Travis was doing much better except for the exhaustion brought on by severe dehydration, from yesterday no doubt. As for me, I did throw up most of the night, but I never ran a fever and once I got up this afternoon I was tired and a little dehydrated, but really felt better. We left Gideon with his grandparents while we tried 7-up and then Gatorade and eventually toast on our tender stomachs. Everything stayed down.

It was so hard for me to be away from him for so long. I cried when Nana took him this morning. Even though I knew it was best for him. I missed him like crazy and felt like a bad mother.

We ate a decent dinner and both of us felt pretty good, so we went and got our boy about 5:30 this afternoon. We're both still tired, but that's okay. We just took it easy around here all evening and were careful to disinfect the house before we brought him home.





And what can I say about him? He's still an angel.

7 comments:

Corey said...

Teach the cat to babysit!!! awesome!

:)

Julie Bird said...

Ok, that is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! I agree that animals are smarter than everyone gives them credit for. So cute!

Jeanna said...

He's so cute! Congratulations!

Larissa said...

I love it! The pictures with Crookshanks is so cute. Of course every picture of Gideon is cute. You guys got a lot luckier than we did. Kingsley wanted NOTHING to do with Gracie for the first three years of her life. Finally this year he has grown attached to her. Now he lets her pet him, and will even come if she calls his name. I feel bad for him, he just got use to Grace and now we will bring another baby home in Nov. Poor little guy.

Leisha Mareth said...

Do you even know how jealous I am that he has a Nana close enough to come pick him up all day? My Mom is 4 hours away and there are some days that I desperately wish she lived closer (like, next door!) Okay, enough about ME. I'm glad you are feeling better and I'm sorry you were sick...!! It reminds me of when we first got Cubby and we all got sick. I hope Gideon escapes any sick bugs.

Leisha Mareth said...

p.s. Crookshanks rocks!

Cathy Shields said...

I think animals are so smart. Dandee is so good around Tristen and Trevor! Crookshanks (where did you come up with that name?) knows how precious G is to the family.