Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Vanity...

Yes, I have a confession to make again. I'm an extremely vain person. I've known this about myself for years. But my vanity is not the "Wow I'm so hot!" type. In fact it's just the opposite. I'm vain because of the money, time and energy I devote to trying to be slimmer, younger and better looking.

I have been blessed with the five greatest sisters on the planet. And cursed because they're all cuter than me. It was devastating in high school to watch my younger sisters getting asked out by seniors when they weren't even in high school, let alone old enough to date. And yet, I couldn't get a date to save my life. My very first date I had to ask the guy out. (And it was the 4th guy I asked, who went to a different school that finally said yes.)

I'm not having a pity party, and I'm not asking for sympathy. If anything the experiences of having five beautiful sisters has made me more determined than ever to be worthy of being photographed next to them.

And yet, that is the problem. Even though I've had a skin care routine that I love and will never depart from, I'm always willing and ready to drop big money on the lastest mask, scrub or microderm just to see if it will make a difference. I spend hours at the gym trying to burn off the pounds that packed on during my first two years of marriage when my metabolism slowed and I was eating "normal" meals for the first time in my life. I tan, I wax, color my hair, get my nails done, give myself pedicures, get facials, count calories (although I don't usually alter my eating habits, it's more to find out how many calories I'm actually taking in, than to change anything about what I'm eating) and spend more time at the gym than with my husband.

And somehow I'm still the old, short, plump sister in all of Jesse & Skye's wedding photos. Let me demonstrate:

Does Shiloh even look old enough to have six children? Not at all. Especially since she doesn't look like she's had even one! And no this picture was not taken when she was a 19 year old newlywed. This photo was taken just this Easter as a 29 year old mother of six. (Her youngest was born in December. Seriously, it's not fair!)



In high school Cami always got told she looked like Brittany Spears. Although that's not nearly the compliment now that it was in '99, it's easy to see that her looks have faired even better than Brittany's. It should not be legal for a pregnant woman to be so cute!



Between the pageants and the magazine cover, there's never been any question that Jesse's a knockout.



I've always thought that Skye should be the "Noxema Girl." She's got a perfect complexion and a fresh-faced beauty that I've always envied. She's the only sister that's shorter than me, but she's petite all over, so it's very cute. (She's also smarter than me, which is another thorn in my side, but I'll save that for a later post.)



And then there's Hillary. With piercing blue eyes and china doll features, she's easily the most striking of all the girls. She's so statuesque that her looks remind me of the runway models you see in Vogue. (And she doesn't look only 19 in any of her pictures.)

I also have the cutest and funniest brother on the planet, but this post is about the girls. Besides, I've already dedicated several posts to Cody.

I'm so proud of all of my sisters. I could go on for days about their beauty and their accomplishments. And that's why I have this problem. I feel like I don't belong in this bevy of beautiful girls. I'm out of place in the family I'm so proud of. I'm the oldest, and of course there's nothing I can do about that. I'm the shortest (save for Skye) but unlike Skye I'm not petite. And I weigh the most. (I even weigh more than Shiloh at full pregnancy weight.) So while my sisters enter the prime of their life and maintain their youthful glow and perfect metabolism, I'm fighting crows feet, cellulite, and thanks to a cruel trick by mother nature, more blemishes than I had as a teenager. (I mean, wrinkles I can handle, acne I can handle, but come on! Both at the same time! That's just plain mean!)

With Gideon it's become harder to maintain the high maintenance lifestyle I'd grown accustomed to. But instead of changing my ways, I'm sacrificing precious nap time to keep with my many beauty regimes. Since he's been born, I've still never once left the house without full make-up and hair.

The thing is that part of me doesn't want to change. I like to feel pretty. I don't usually have a good day when I know I don't look good. And I feel my absolute best in stillettos and red salsa lipstick. My self esteem, while not solely dependent on my physical appearance, is still tied to it. I know it's a lot of work, but it's what I have to do to feel like I have a chance at belonging to this family. And the other part of me doesn't know how to change. I've worked in the corporate world for so long that I really don't own many "weekend" clothes. T-shirts and jeans are great but I don't have that many (and after 4 weeks at home I'm sick of what I do have. I miss my stillettos and city shorts and red salsa lipstick.) I don't know how to start my day without "putting my face on." I don't know how to end it without night cream and eye serum. I've done my beauty routines for so long that they're just part of who I am. Same thing with how I dress. I feel like a bum wearing jeans and t-shirts everyday.

But I can't help but wonder if people look at me sometimes and say (as I've said about other people before) "Wow that lady is trying way too hard."

And today I find myself asking if it's worth it. Or if my vanity will eventually ruin me. Because when I look in the mirror each evening I still see crow's feet. And those lines on my nose and forehead from squinting too much. I see hair that probably should have been cut years ago. Nails that no other mom to a newborn has. And a body that's disciplined and very strong, but refuses to be slim.

I see a 30 year old woman who still has the same fears she's had since jr. high. That with such beautiful younger sisters, no one will even notice her.

16 comments:

dust and kam said...

In a way, I feel i can relate.

I love your honest posts.

And if it helps, I think you are beautiful! And I want to be more disciplined and strong like you! You are inspiring.

loves

Leisha Mareth said...

Hey, I've got 4 kiddos and I still never step out of my door without "putting my face on" When you are born with blonde eyelashes and fair skin you look naked without mascara and blush!

Let's not call it vanity, let's call it "caring about having a tidy appearance"...

As for not fitting in with your sisters? That's a brain complex (clearly stemming from high school, lol) because reality just don't fit with what you're saying. I've seen the wedding pics...not one of you stands out as anything but enviable beauties.

And for heaven's sake keep your nails and salsa red lipstick...Gideon will appreciate it!

P.S. Just wait until he get's older and starts becoming "embarassed" like my son is! Recently the first grade went on a swimming field trip and Jacob didn't tell me parent's could come because (and I quote) "I didn't want my friends to see you in your bathing suit!" Did I mention his sweet teacher is like 250 lbs.? Talk about a self-esteem booster! LOL!

Cathy Shields said...

I so envy your routine and disipline. I am lucky to get makeup off before I fall asleep. But I was around during your high school and you were a beautiful girl then and now are a beautiful women. There were so many people that wished they looked like you when you were in high school. I am surprised you didn't notice. You probably didn't have anyone ask you out because you had Annie Oakley for a mother and that can be a little scary to a guy.
But most of all you are you and whether you battle with your weight or have crowsfeet, or whatever may come, you are still you (get used to you). Do what makes you feel good. Keep the salsa red lipstick, being a mom doesn't mean we wear tshirts and jeans all the time or even ever if you dont' want to. I still love the high high heels and brave them once in awhile. I have this little pair of black velvet with a pink bow that are killer in more ways than one but hey they look great. I'll post them just for you. (ok I do have pics of all my shoes since I took a pic and put at the end of each shoebox for ease in deciding what pair I want....and yes, I do have that many shoes)
If you feel good about yourself G will learn to love himself. Your discipline and confididence will be an example to him. Don't even think you won't age gracefully....look at your mother!
I do understand your feelings though as I have similar feelings. I wish I had your sisters metabolism! And looked like Shiloh after 3 kids. I have always had weight issues, even in high school. I have worn the fake nails for lots of years now because I like them. And I get my toes painted in the summer with a flower on the big toes. It looks as if you do the things to make you feel good which is what you should do. But quit doggin on yourself. I would love to look like you!!!! ....................love ya

Kelly and Jesse said...

Blah, Blah, Blah. I don't think anyone should pay attention to your post. I live by you and I know how many people think you are beautiful. When you come into the shop, even before Gideon, they would remark on how cute and stylish you were. I've been at the wrestling meet where someone said they couldn't tell who was older between you, me, and Hillary. There's like 12 years.
I'm sure that you are just having a bad day. I would like to assure you that we all have them. I have a big zit right between my eyes, you couldn't see it very well yesterday because my bangs barely covered it. I look in the mirror everyday and there are things I don't like about myself. When I go to the mall there are styles I wish I could pull off, but when I try them on I can't. They are not flattering.
Besides you have totally mislead everyone about your sisters. We won't talk about Shiloh, she's disowned. I know Cami is self consience, all though there is no reason why she should be. She is kind of goofy though. I waited a long time to not look like a boy. Skye I know has to watch what she eats, and Hillary doesn't look like a china doll when she is attempting to walk in high heels. Sorry to my other sisters i'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just trying to make a point. Nobodies perfect and we all have insecurities. At least you try and do something to change it instead of making up excuses like half the world. Anyway I love you all.

Larissa said...

I couldn't have written this post myself. Except I don't have 5 beautiful sisters, I just have one beautiful one. Also let's not even compare the brains thing, I have Curt for an older brother! But I so hear you on all of this. When I look in the mirror I still see that ugly girl from junior high. Don't say you don't know what I'm talking about, you were there in 8th grade! I'm finally starting to appreciate who I am, but I definetly have quite a few "ugly" days. I look at my handsome husband (whom LOTS of girls wanted to date in college) and I can't help but wonder what he saw in me, or still sees in me.
As far as the beauty routines and workouts go, I don't see it as vanity, but apart of who I am and what makes me happy. I like working out and feeling a difference in my body. So what if I can't get back to a size 8? I still like the way I feel. And girl, I NEVER leave the house without make-up. I love make-up and I will continue to wear it everyday!! I feel your pain, but please don't let it run your life. I love ya and think you look amazing in all of your pictures! Thanks for your honesty. We all need to let it out sometimes.
Love - Riss

By the way: I saw the pictures of Shiloh. I might not sure I want to be her friend. Just kidding, she looks amazing and I'm jealous! :)

Larissa said...

oops, I meant I COULD have written this post.

Julie Bird said...

I respectfully dissagree, I think you are gorgeous!

Hillary and Jake said...

I agree with Jesse All the way. And Just for your information, of the 7 dates that I went on in high school that weren't with Cody Lee, I asked the boys out on 6 of them, I even had to ask a boy to ask me to my last high school formal, and the only reason he did it was because I promised him brownies. And my 10th grade homecoming, I got asked at the football game the night before, because the kid had asked 8 girls who all turned him down and I was his last hope. we all have stories and days when we feel second best, but You are no less loved or ugly than the rest of us are. So please go eat a salad excersize Get some endorphins going and be happy, you'll feel tons better, Love you but I have got to go.

Guffey Family said...

I think I was only blessed with a good metabolism so I can have the energy to keep up with all my kids. Besides you all know I have no sense of style. I always feel like the frump of the family because I can't put together a trendy outfit. There is not a single family picture where I have dressed without consulting at least three other people. Meanwhile everybody else can just throw on whatever they feel like and look fabulous. My greatest fear is that someday you guys are going to turn me into "what not to wear" because I dress so badly. We each have our own insecurities I guess. I love you all though!

leschornmom said...

Umm...Can I just say that I know for a FACT that you were noticed in highschool? I have a funny story that I should probably email you...too private for public posting.
Any way, I'm a lot like Shilo. I wish I had the sense of style that you had. When I look at pictures of you I don't think "she's trying way too hard." It's more like "I wish I had a friend like that to take me shopping and teach me what to wear."
As for "changing you're routine...I don't think it's a good idea... unless you REALLY want to. If you try to frump down all at once, you will end up regretting the descision...and very depressed.
Although, I'd skipp the heels...It's really embarassing when you're lugging a car seat into church and you twist your ankle, dropping the baby and diaper bag, and ending up on crutches for 5 weeks... or when you do it again in a grocery parking lot while chaseing your toddler about 6mos later. :)

Brad Phillips said...

Cali the only reason I never "chased" you in high school was because you weren't in my age bracket ;).

I seem to recall having something of a crush on you when you first moved to Brazil in the 8th grade...oh wait, I've never told you that....

Travis said...

Oh my gosh I must have the best friends and blogging buddies in the world. I never actually intended to get such a huge response from this. I was mostly just pouring my heart out (as per usual) about what was on my mind. (And lately it happens to be wrinkles, cellulite and fashion.) I love all of you. (Even Shiloh although I'm still considering disowning her if she doesn't start looking like she's had a child.)

Beej, no you never did tell me you had a crush on me. And what do you mean I'm not "in your age bracket." HELLO! I'm only a year older than you. Wait, I digress. Thank you for the compliment. I never knew that.

Riss, I remember you in jr. High and you weren't as awkard as you think. I mean when we moved to Indiana I was just barely out of my looking like a boy phase. (If you don't believe I looked like a boy in the 6th & 7th grade, I have humiliating pictures to prove it.)

And none of you should really worry about me. I'll always be that red lipstick, stiletto wearing, sharp-tounged wanna be 1940's bombshell that I've always been. Some days I just get weary of trying to keep up.

Love to all.

Cali and Travis said...

PS, Apparently I'm logged in as Trav, but it's actually me who wrote that last. Sorry.

Kelly and Jesse said...

At least you only looked like a boy until the 7th grade. Try being called a boy right beforeyour sophmore year.

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I have no idea what y'all are talking about. ;-) I love you!

William said...

I must admit I was rather surprised to read this post. (and not the pleasant sort of surprise either) I must point out that I have on very good authority that you had several young men fighting over you in high school. (You must have been asking the wrong ones out if they said no) In fact I remember several epic duels that were fought to determine who would have the honor of asking you out during special events. Now as for the obvious self esteem deficiency, I can help you with that, my hourly billable is normally 110 an hour (actually only 50 minutes it’s a great scam we counselors pull) but I can get you the friends and family discount.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream